In late June, PKWARE announced the end of life for Viivo encryption. If you’ve relied on Viivo to protect your files in Dropbox or elsewhere on the Web, you need to find another encryption solution sooner rather than later.
How Long Will Support Continue?
What Does Viivo Recommend?
While Viivo can be used after the service is shutdown, the company does not recommend this. All customers should move to another encryption solution.
How Long Do I Have to Act?
Viivo service will remain online until July 1st, 2018. (But don’t wait until next year to tackle this issue!)
- Research and select another encryption solution (see below).
- Backup all files currently protected by Viivo.
- Decrypt all files currently protected by Viivo (the Website has step-by-step guides that walk you through the process).
- Implement the new encryption solution.
- Review your credit card statement. If you have a paid Pro or Business subscription, your payment processing should have been suspended automatically.
Alternatives to Viivo
If you really like Dropbox and don’t want to switch, finding another cloud-based encryption service to fill the gap is imperative. BoxCryptor and Sookasa are two options. Sadly, CloudFogger and TrueCrypt are no more.
All Rights Reserved 2017 Beverly Michaelis