From managing bank charges and avoiding impermissible cushions to reporting overdrafts and addressing client fee disputes – this program will provide a fundamental understanding of how to operate your lawyer trust account.
The duty to protect property and funds
- Segregating the property of clients or third persons
- Holding funds in a lawyer trust account
- Distribution of IOLTA interest
Establishing an IOLTA account
- Selecting a financial institution and choosing a jurisdiction
- Naming the IOLTA account
- Understanding bank service charges
- Avoiding impermissible cushions
- Opening pooled and separate lawyer trust accounts
IOLTA participation, Confidentiality, and Reporting
- Informing clients of your participation in IOLTA
- Protecting confidentiality of IOLTA information
- Complying with annual reporting requirements
- Receiving and disbursing funds
- Taking earned fees
- Paying and refunding client costs
- Best practices for paying yourself
- Using fixed fees and calculating refunds
- Delegating to staff
- Reporting overdrafts
- Addressing client fee disputes
- Segregating funds by keeping a running total and tracking individual accounts
- Reconciling the trust account
- Reviewing software options
- Recordkeeping rules
$25 – Visit the Upcoming CLE page or click on the image above. Secure payment processing powered by Eventbrite. Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express accepted. Program materials included in the registration price.
Answers to FAQs
Wednesday, September 26, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Pacific Time. This is a live, online webinar.
1.5 ethics MCLE credits pending (Oregon).
Who Should Attend?
Lawyers, office administrators, legal staff, accounting staff – anyone interested in refreshing or improving their knowledge of trust accounting, Oregon RPC 1.15, and related ethics opinions.
Discounts available to firms who wish to register 5 or more attendees. Contact organizer to arrange a discount code before registering: email@example.com.
Does the Program Include Written Materials?
Yes. Written materials will be distributed electronically to attendees.
Are questions welcome?
Absolutely. Questions may be submitted any time during the live event or afterward via email. Attendees are also encouraged to participate in live, anonymous polling.