Mistakes happen. The practice of law is complex, clients don’t always follow through as directed, and sometimes we commit errors.
The emotion of being caught up in a legal malpractice claim can be overwhelming:
A significant measure of a person is not whether he or she avoids trouble, but how he or she meets it when they find each other…. I have developed immense respect for many of our covered parties, not because of their perfection as lawyers (they weren’t perfect), but because of how they coped with the claim.
Bruce Schafer, PLF Director of Claims – Parting Thoughts: Lawyers are like other people.
Help is here if you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed
Take this advice from the Professional Liability Fund:
We recognize that having a legal malpractice claim filed against you is often very upsetting. Lawyers react in many different ways, including anger, loss of confidence, anxiety, avoidance, and inability to focus. If you would like assistance coping with the stress or other challenges associated with a legal malpractice claim, the Oregon Attorney Assistance Program offers free and confidential support and assistance. Information you provide to OAAP Attorney Counselors is not shared with the PLF Claims staff, your defense counsel, or any other person. In fact, no information is disclosed to any person, agency, or organization outside the OAAP without your consent. For free and completely confidential assistance call 503.226.1057 or 1.800.321.6227 (OAAP). NOTE: We ask that you do not discuss the facts or merits of the case with anyone other than the PLF, defense counsel, or others with whom you maintain a legally confidential relationship.
Putting claims into context
- You are not alone. The PLF receives approximately one claim for every nine lawyers it covers. More than 80% of lawyers in practice 20 years or more have had a claim.
- Having a strong reaction to an allegation of malpractice is very common.
- There is never a downside to contacting the PLF or OAAP. Our services are confidential and we are here to help.
- The PLF has two claims attorneys on call every day to talk to Oregon lawyers. You should contact the PLF if you are served with a summons and/or complaint; you are concerned that you may have made a mistake; a client indicates that you have made a mistake; someone threatens you with a claim or makes a demand for damages against you; you receive a subpoena, or someone requests information, documentation, and/or testimony about your representation of a client. Call the PLF even if you are concerned that the claim may not be covered.
- At least one Attorney Counselor is on call daily at the OAAP office. The OAAP is available to assist with any issue that affects the ability of a lawyer to function effectively.
- The PLF has four practice management advisors on staff who are available to help you take action and constructively move forward with office system improvements.
All Rights Reserved  Beverly Michaelis