Cyber Security – Numbers, Trends, Protecting Your Firm
- The estimated annual cost of global cybercrime is over $100 billion. @lawdotcom
- 53% of U.S companies expressed little to no confidence to stopping security breaches in the next 12 months. @lawdotcom
- Removing admin rights mitigates 92% of critical Microsoft vulnerabilities. @DonPhilbin RT @Business_of_Law
- The Soft Underbelly of Corporate America: Law Firm Cybersecurity, Ethics and the Changing Field of Play. @Business_of_Law
- Microsoft GC: “government snooping potentially now constitutes an ‘advanced persistent threat'” @VinceDePalma RT @lawyerist
- Clients Demanding Better Data Security From Law Firms – @sharonnelsonesq
- Every firm should have a cyber security plan.
- If I haven’t scared you yet, see What NSA Surveillance Means to Law Firms: What Lawyers Today Need to Know about Cyber Security.
- The Professional Liability Fund (PLF) offers cyber security/data breach coverage to Oregon lawyers via our Excess Claims Made Program.
- If you are an Oregon lawyer and did not attend “Protecting Your Firm and Your Clients from Scams, Fraud, and Financial Loss,” order this CLE at no charge from the PLF Web site. See this post for more information.
Tips for Dropbox Users
- Dropbox security: use third party apps – like Viivo – to encrypt. You own the key. @VIIVOkey happens to be in attendance.… @MrsMacLawyer RT @rocketmatter
- Dropbox security: use 2 step authentication but put recovery code in safe place. It’s not retrievable. @larryport RT @rocketmatter
- Also see my post, The 7 Rules of Using Dropbox and search this blog for related Dropbox posts.
Thanks 2014 ABA TECHSHOW tweeters for the tips! And check out these resources for lawyers posted by the author on Scribd.
All Rights Reserved – Beverly Michaelis