Dropbox – what could be new? With the announcement of a new API last month, some believe it may become an alternative for iCloud. For the rest of us, Dropbox simply remains the incredibly popular file sharing and collaboration tool.
But before you dive in, or if you’re already swimming in the Dropbox pool, use some common sense. Follow these 7 rules of using Dropbox securely and without regret:
- Get educated about the Cloud.
- Read and understand your state’s ethics opinion.
- Know the difference between free, pro, and business accounts. Free account users have a limited 30 day archive. Pro and Business Users can add Packrat to recover any file “as far back in time as you like.”
- Before sharing folders or links, review Dropbox help and learn how to unshare a file or remove a member from your business account.
- Establish strong user names and passwords unique to the Dropbox site.
- Understand Dropbox security and privacy policies …
- But add your own “client side” encryption to fully protect files.
All Rights Reserved Beverly Michaelis (2013)
Pingback: A Look at the Year Past – Tips You May Have Missed | Oregon Law Practice Management
Pingback: Cyber Security – Horrifying Stats and Tips for Dropbox Users | Oregon Law Practice Management