The Professional Liability Fund is presenting, “Trust Accounting: Your Financial and Ethical Responsibilities,” on Thursday, May 12, 2011, in Tigard, Oregon. Topics include:
- Setting Up a Lawyer Trust Account
- Selecting a Bank – ORPC 1.15-2(h)-(k)
- IOLTA Accounts – ORPC 1.15-2(b)
- Pooled Lawyer Trust Accounts – ORPC 1.15-2(c)(2)
- Interest Bearing Accounts for Specific Clients – ORPC 1.15-2(c)-(f)
- Key Trust Accounting Concepts
- Unearned Funds Belong in Trust – ORPC 1.15-1(c)
- Waiting for Funds to Clear – ORPC 1.15-1
- Accounting to the Client – ORPC 1.15-1(e)
- Earned on Receipt Fees – ORPC 1.5(c)(3); 1.15-1(c); OSB Op. No. 2005-151
- Remitting Unclaimed Funds – OSB Op. No. 2005-48, ORS 98.302 et seq.
- Avoiding Overdrafts – ORPC 1.15-2
- Safekeeping Property – ORPC 1.15-1(a)
- Proper Recordkeeping
- Tracking Funds – ORPC 1.15-1(e)
- Keeping a Paper Trail – ORPC 1.15-1(e)
- Reconciling the Account – ORPC 1.15-1(e)
- Retaining Records – ORPC 1.15-1(a)
- Implementing Safeguards
- Protecting Client Funds from Embezzlement – ORPC 1.15-1
And a Q & A with Oregon State Bar General Counsel Helen Hierschbiel:
- Monitoring the IOLTA Account
- Setting Up Separate Interest-Bearing Accounts
- Accepting Credit Cards
- Responding to Fee Disputes, Garnishments, and Third Party Liens
- Investigating Embezzlement
- Accounting for Unidentified Funds
- Questions from the Audience
This seminar will be held live and will also be available as a Webcast.
The live seminar will be held at the Oregon State Bar Center, 16037 SW Upper Boones Ferry Road, Tigard, Oregon. Registration/check-in begins at 8:30 a.m. The program will run from 9:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. The fee for the live seminar is $10 per person. The fee for the Webcast is $10 per person.
To print a registration form for the live seminar or for FAQs about Webcasts, go to www.osbplf.org, click on Upcoming Seminars, and select “Trust Accounting: Your Financial and Ethical Responsibilities.” If you are registering for the live seminar, mail your completed registration form with a check for $10 made payable to the PLF. Click here to register for the Webcast.
This seminar qualifies for 3.25 MCLE Ethics credits. Registration deadline: Monday, May 9, 2011.
We hope to see you there!