The practice management advisors of the Professional Liability Fund frequently receive calls from lawyers and staff who are looking for service providers. The needs can be far ranging – from interpreters, business appraisers, and e-discovery services to software support or web design. Very few of the callers realize that a free Products & Services Directory exists on the Oregon State Bar Web site.
The Products & Services Directory is updated annually in conjunction with the Oregon State Bar Membership Directory. It contains over 85 categories of services and products, including these, which appear a bit odd upon first glance:
- Cause & Origin – Talbott Associates. This is a consulting engineering firm with more than 90 years experience providing expert testimony and analysis.
- Geneaology – Marion Wilcox Corporation. This is an heir service with over 25 years experience in specialized investigative techniques for trusts and probates.
- Hotels & Resorts – The next time you need to find lodging for an out of town witness, this list may come in handy.
- Meeting Rooms & Special Events – nice to have along with the hotel and resort list.
- Pianos – Classic Pianos. Hey, you might need one!
- Sabbaticals – sounds good to me. At first I thought this was a contract lawyer offering to cover for me while I was on sabbatical, but alas – it is not. (Contract lawyers do provide this service, however.) Follow this link to find Your Own French Home if you want to vacation in Provence.
If you’re in a pinch for time, consider:
- Deposition Summaries – Depo Express. “You send it -we summarize it.”
- Legal Research Services – National Legal Research Group. The “nation’s oldest and largest legal research firm … providing members of the Oregon Bar with specialized legal research and advocacy since 1969. Call to discuss your case and get a free estimate. We work with budgets.”
- Litigation Support Services – a convenient list of seven specialists who provide litigation support services, including e-discovery and forensic accounting.
- Qualified Domestic Relations Orders Drafting Services – QDROwest, LLC. QDROS are a highly specialized area within family law. If you’ve never drafted one, it’s wise to consult with an expert.
- Scanning & Coding – I receive one or two calls a week asking about scanning closed files. It’s one of those projects that sounds good until you find out how labor intensive it is. If you have a big scanning project, consider outsourcing it. Smart Legal is one option for this service.
- Shredding & Document Destruction – AccuShred NW. Secure on and off-site shredding, one-time purges or scheduled service. Encompasses paper and electronic media destruction.
- Transcription 24/7 – E-Word Solutions, Inc.
- Writing, Editing & Research – Scribe’s Corner.
Next time you’re looking for an auctioneer, computer consultant, estate sale service, or Web site designer, take a look at the Products & Services Directory. Odds are that you’ll find a great resource.
Copyright 2010 Beverly Michaelis